Why Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup? I'm not really a chicken soup for the soul kind of girl. For me, the ultimate comfort food is grilled cheese and tomato soup. Takes me back to my childhood, warms the tummy, AND I can make it in about 7 minutes.


Sunday, July 26, 2015

Keep It Simple


Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.  
1 Peter 3:15 

I recently listened to a 3-part sermon series by Andy Stanley called Prepared.  LOVED IT.  It really reminded me how simple evangelism really should be.  To give Andy credit, most of the thoughts in this post come from him, not me.

One of the most frustrating things about being a Christian is the questions people ask about what you believe. If you had fifteen minutes, you could answer. But what are you supposed to say in just a few seconds? How do you defend your faith without losing your mind?

So often the reason I don’t have spiritual conversations with non-believers is because I am afraid I am not going to be able to face their arguments or defend what I believe.  So even if I feel like I am supposed to open my mouth, I don’t.  It’s not because I don’t love them them enough or because I am not broken over the fact that they are facing an eternity separated from God.  (Well, I think I could get better at that too, but that was not really the point of this series.)

Here is my big takeaway….

I do not have to be able to fight for a literal 6 day creation story.
I do not have to interpret the parables.
I do not have to explain how I think the end times are going to play out.
I do not have to try to prove that Jonah was in a big fish or that Jesus fed thousands of people with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish.
I do not even have to quote scripture.

I am simply responsible for 1 Peter 3:15.  To make it personal: “Beth needs to be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks her to give the reason for the hope that she has.”  That is MY hope.  This is MY reason for believing something that can only be fully believed by faith.  Suddenly that sounds a lot less intimidating to me.  

When someone wants to know why you chose to follow Jesus, his or her question will probably focus on lifestyle choices, the church, Old Testament stories, or miracles. But the question you should answer is, “Why Jesus?” Give the answer Jesus’ followers have been giving since the first century: the reason you’re a Jesus follower is the resurrection. If there were no resurrection, there would be no faith.

Here is what Andy says:

“I believe Jesus died for my sin and rose from the dead, but not because the Bible says so. I believe because Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, James, and Paul said so. They were eyewitnesses and friends of eyewitnesses.”


For this to make total sense, I highly recommend listening to the series.  It will definitely be an excellent tool in your evangelism toolbox.  Here is where you can find the messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment