Why Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup? I'm not really a chicken soup for the soul kind of girl. For me, the ultimate comfort food is grilled cheese and tomato soup. Takes me back to my childhood, warms the tummy, AND I can make it in about 7 minutes.


Monday, January 3, 2011

Sacrifice


I just read a chapter in Chip Ingram's book From Good to Great in God's Eyes about sacrifices.

"Sacrifice is the clearest and greatest evidence of the extent of one's love and devotion to a person, a cause, or a thing. When someone pays the ultimate price for unselfish reasons, the depth of his love is clear. The measure of our sacrifice demonstrates what matters most."

So often we think of sacrifice as something really radical Christians do....downsize their home so they can give more to their church....choose to go on a mission trip rather than a vacation....don't worry about how they'll look when they boldly share their Jesus with someone. But what if this isn't radical? What if this is normal. I think it SHOULD be normal for believers!

This chapter talks about Old Testament sacrifices and giving first fruits to God. Since we don't live in an agricultural society, Ingram gives this example: "Imagine seeing your entire life as a blank check--- then in view of your love for God and confidence in his goodness to you, signing the bottom of the check. Then you take the check, slide it under the door of heaven's throne room, and say, 'Lord, fill it out however you want to. You tell me what you want me to do, where you want me to go, what you want me to give, and who you want me to serve. Whatever you write on the top of the check, that's what I'll do.'"

There are so many great parts in this chapter, that I could be here all night typing them. (Just read the book! It's great!)

But it has really given me some things to think about. Do I live a life of sacrifice? My life sure doesn't feel hard, so my initial answer is 'not really." Sure we give money and time and talents, but it rarely feels like a sacrifice. Maybe I am not thinking about the right areas of my life...maybe I should be thinking more relationally. Do I only choose to spend time with people whom I enjoy and who benefit my life? Do I ever sacrifice feeling comfortable and looking 'normal' for speaking the truth and sharing my faith?

For me personally, when I spend more time thinking about the sacrifice Christ made for me, my little sacrifices come easier.

Lots to ponder. Like I said, read the book. Each chapter tackles a different practice that great Christians have in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment