Why Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup? I'm not really a chicken soup for the soul kind of girl. For me, the ultimate comfort food is grilled cheese and tomato soup. Takes me back to my childhood, warms the tummy, AND I can make it in about 7 minutes.


Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dear Sarah.....


Sometimes you don’t think about or realize when it is a “last.” Like the last time you let me walk you to the corner to get on the school bus or the last time you wanted me to quiz you for a spelling test or the last time we hung your artwork on the refrigerator. Other times we have celebrated your “lasts.” The last time you were ‘clapped off’ at Diley Middle School or the last time you took a clarinet lesson with Mrs. Lang or the last time you had to wear your back brace or the last time you climbed down from the field commander ladder.


These are all just really awesome moments that get stored up in my heart. I have heard it said before that from the time your child is born until they head off on their own, it is a series of letting go. I remember when the scariest thing was worrying you were going to tumble down the stairs after learning to walk. Then there was the first time you stayed home alone. Then there was the first time I watched you drive off down the street in a car.


I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of you, Sarah. Someday you will discover the specialness that comes with a first child. I love to think back on the years when it was just you and daddy and I. Of course I love Em and Rach just as much, but those 2 years were pretty awesome as I was learning to be a mommy and you and I had some really great times. Part of my love of going back to Amelia Island is remembering those years. You won’t truly ‘get it’ until you are there yourself.


You have had so many amazing moments and I am so happy to have been there to share them with you. As much as I have prayed for you and the paths that your life will take, I have also thanked God over and over for the extreme privilege of being your mom. It has been the greatest blessing in my life to watch you 3 grow up into beautiful Godly women!


This week you begin a new chapter in your life. This will probably be the biggest single change you have ever (and maybe ever will?) experience. It is going to be exciting and freeing and stressful and scary and fun and...and...and. You have matured and established a character. Now you will prepare for your career. Now you will discover who you are as a person on your own outside of our family. Now you will learn what it is to chase after God on your own rather than being led there by your parents. Maybe you will discover some new things about yourself. Maybe you will meet the person who will be your best friend for the rest of your life. Maybe you will meet the man you will one day marry. Those are some pretty big things....but you are there, Sarah! And I know you are ready to jump in with both feet!!


Yeah, I am going to shed some tears this week. Just chalk it up to stupid sappy mom. Once again, you will get it when you get there too. People laugh at me because you are just going to be in Westerville. Yeah, I know (and I am really glad about it too!). But it is what this week represents that touches a deep, deep place in my heart.


Right now, Sarah, I pray God’s biggest and best and awesome-est blessings on you. I pray that He guards your mind and your heart and your body and your soul. I pray that you learn to lean hard into Him as things get hard or temptations get strong. And I pray that God’s light shines bright through you into the college world that can so often be spiritually dark. I pray that you grow closer and closer to God each day and week and semester and year. No matter how many friends you surround yourself with (and they WILL love you there!) and how many professors you need to please and how many audiences you perform in front of (I will be the one in the front row cheering the loudest!), always remember that you are living your life for an audience of One.


I love you, my dear, sweet, beautiful Sarah.

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Any chance you can add an RSS feed so I can follow it in Google Reader? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can subscribe to her posts using the Atom link at the bottom of the page. Also, if you are using Google Reader, just copy/paste the blog URL into Google reader and it'll pick it up right away.

    ReplyDelete